What is Your Bait When Someone Comes to Your Website?
If you aren’t offering something more interesting than “Sign Up for Property Updates” on your website than you are throwing money away. Hopefully you already know the benefits of building and maintaining a list of email real estate clients to market to. How are you building that list of names? You need to give people a reason to give you their email address on your website! You know that right? So what are you doing about it?
Let’s talk a little bit about why offering customized property search updates through your IDX solution isn’t good enough:
- If a site visitor is already signed up on another agent site you are dead in the water
- When someone buys a house they unsubscribe and you lose them forever
- Since potential clients see it offered everywhere, why sign up on your site instead of the next one?
- The messages are cold, impersonal, and canned so you don’t build a relationship
- Your site looks crappy compared to Zillow and clients would rather get updates from them instead anyway (Right or wrong it’s true. Sorry.)
I’m NOT saying that you shouldn’t have that service available on your site. You should. Sometimes it works and it’s expected at this point. There isn’t much point in promoting it heavily though. Just make it easy to find on the property search form and results and you are good to go.
Here’s what real estate agents SHOULD do:
- Create a free downloadable resource that prospects want when they see the title of it
- Create something that is buyer-oriented. They will be the majority of your site visitors
- Make the email sign up form prominent on every page of your website
- Make whatever you offer personal. It’s about you, the market you are in, and your new client
It can be tricky to come up with something that is going to be exciting to home buyers but you can do it. You are a real estate expert in your area right? You better be! Here are some ideas to get you started. Every area has it’s own quirks and special aspects that you probably can incorporate on top of the basic ideas here to make it better.
- The past months market snapshot along with your commentary on what happened and why
- A comparison of the schools in the area and which is the top one
- How to get the best price when buying a house
- 5 secrets most agents hope buyers don’t find out about
You get the idea. The title needs to be a bit over-the-top but the report or guide should deliver. A bit of hyperbole is expected here. Next time you are getting groceries take a look at the headlines on the covers of magazines for inspiration. You can definitely do it! If you are worried about not creating something good enough, just bear in mind what you are competing against. In most cases it is nothing! The majority of agents have nothing at all so be bold, brave, and get going! Besides, you can always improve it later…